To work under the guidance/instruction of appropriate senior staff:
• To provide maintenance and security services on school premises and sites, thereby ensuring a safe working environment
• To ensure that the school and grounds are in a good state of repair and appearance.
• To ensure the security, health and safety and cleanliness of the school is maintained.
• To ensure all Health and Safety policies and procedures are always complied with.
• To participate fully in all aspects of the life of the school, maintaining good relationships with children, staff, parents, and visitors.
• To report any breach of security to relevant authorities.
• To monitor CCTV or surveillance equipment where appropriate.
Cleaning and Maintenance
• To deal with spillages,
• To ensure the removal of rubbish and waste. This may include:
• Removal of waste requires safe handling procedures.
• Waste separation to comply with re-use and re-cycling processes.
• Removing waste is classified as unsanitary, hazardous and/or dangerous.
• Maintaining all outside areas external to the school to ensure they are presentable and free from waste materials.
• To use the relevant procedures of the school to record breakages, repairs and maintenance work carried out and to record and monitor the quality of work carried out.
• To refer relevant work to specialists in accordance with the health and safety requirements of the school and the authority.
• To deal with repairs and maintenance that may arise because of accidents, emergencies and other unforeseen circumstances and liaise with the School Business Manager.
• To ensure that all heating and lighting systems and other equipment are working properly, carrying out regular checks and accordingly.
• To ensure, every day, that the toilets are replenished with soap and toilet paper.
• To ensure outside areas are clear of leaves from playground, drains and school entrances.
• To keep drains and gullies free flowing, including un-blocking.
• To ensure all pathways and all other external hard surfaces areas are kept clean, free of litter and weeds and that they are gritted or salted when required. Also, to ensure appropriate stocks of salt and grit are held on site.
Health and Safety
• To be responsible for safety and security within the school, including acting as a key holder and organizing access for emergency access.
• To participate with Fire Drills in liaison with the School Business Manager and to maintain a log of all fire and security drills for inspection purposes.
• To carry out regular checks of play and PE equipment identifying and organizing for repairs of such following liaison with School Business Manager.
• To take appropriate actions to identify, evaluate, minimize, and manage any risks to health, safety, and security in the immediate working environment. To carry out any relevant risk assessments as required by the school and borough.
• To monitor and oversee the electrical testing of portable electrical appliances and maintain appropriate records.
• To ensure that satisfactory levels of caretaking, cleanliness and hygiene are achieved and maintained through the whole of the premises.
• Any previous experience with trades or DIY
• Good communicational skills relevant to both children and adults
• Competent skills in numeracy, literacy, and ICT
• Ability to self-manage and organize your own time.
• Personal qualities
• Smart appearance
• Professional attitude
• A level of maturity with working in a school environment will be required.
• Ambitious and hard working
• Desire to be a positive role model to young people.